Monday 26 September 2011

Wasabi and Snow Pea Salad


Salad
150g snow peas – topped, tailed and cut in half
Handful of macadamias
Handful of baby rocket (baby spinach or water cress are also nice)
Half an avocado – cubed

Dressing
3 tsp wasabi paste
Juice of 1 lime
1 tsp sugar
Grapeseed oil
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
½ tsp white pepper



1. Make dressing (It’s a wasabi dressing, so it’s meant to be hot. Add more or less depending on how heat-tolerant you are). Start by mixing wasabi paste, lime juice and sugar until combined (my utensil of choice is a fork). While stirring, add grapeseed oil slowly to best incorporate it. Add vinegar and pepper and set aside.

NT: A basic salad dressing is a 1:3, acid or vinegar to oil ratio. In this case the wasabi paste mixture is your acid, so just triple that amount for grapeseed oil. It doesn’t have to be exact; I add a little less oil because I like this dressing to be thick.

2.  Toss salad with dressing and serve. Simple but delicious.



-||-

This salad was inspired by a similar one my Aunt made. But I couldn’t remember all the elements, or the dressing, save for its colour and the heat. So I made this one up. A particular favourite of mine now. It literally takes 5mins to prepare. And if you’re more organised than I am, you can soak your snow peas in cold water after you’ve topped and tailed them. I just feel they become crunchier for it, though I could just be imagining it.

No comments:

Post a Comment